Thursday, March 17, 2011

Painting the Invitations!

Yay! It's time for my favorite part of the invitation process....PAINTING! I love the challenge of painting an image like this calla lily multiple times. It's amazing to me every time how it begins to take on a life of it's own and each painting ends up similar, yet different. I have created a time-lapse video featuring one sheet of five invites being painted. Check it out below!




As you can see I work in layers, building up the color with each one. I start with the lightest color and go darker each time. Watercolor is a great medium for wedding invitations--I like how they provide a delicate yet striking look and can be manipulated so easily to create a dreamy and soft feel. I do have to work primarily wet-on-dry (rather than wet-on-wet, wet paint on wet paper) due to the fact that I have chosen not to stretch this watercolor paper--I have to keep the paint as dry as possible to avoid buckling in the paper. Once this sheet is done I still have many more to go!

For a better quality version of the video, visit www.facebook.com/BeckySorrentinoStudio

2 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday, Becky! We're glad Cindy Lu let us know so we could send you some bday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much!! I hope you are doing great!! ;)

    ReplyDelete