Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Math and Art


So, after bombarding my brain with the numerous decisions that have been made up to this point, I then have to break out some math skills! I pull out my brand new ruler (thank you Santa!), my sharpest pencil and get started.

I know that I would like the final invite to be rectangular and read vertically. I know that a close-to-standard size for invites is 5.5" x 7.75". I also know that the sheets of watercolor paper that I plan on using are 12" x 18". (At this point, I have also double-checked that I can easily and affordably find appropriate sized envelopes for this size invite. :) ) Before I can go ahead and figure out how many invites I can fit on each watercolor sheet comfortably, I have to first consider that, though the invite's TOTAL size will be 5.5" x 7.75", that will not be the size of the watercolor portion...I have decided that it will be 5" x 7" because I have zero interest in tackling decimals right now! (and it will work aesthetically too) ;)

So then to the math (as if these numbers haven't already nearly maxed out my mathematical quota for the day).

With a 12"x 18" surface, I can fit three of the invites across (5" wide x 3 invites=15"...leaves me 3" to spare along the side) and I can then fit two invites sideways below those first three (7" wide laying sideways x 2=14") It will vaguely resemble this:



It works out perfect along the 12" side because 5" + 7" = 12" (duh!) Being able to fit five invites on one sheet is nice too because it makes the rest of the math easy! I plan on making 60 of these (enough for the bride and groom to have extras as well as myself!) so....how many sheets total will I have to make?? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

60 invites needed divided by 5 per sheet = 12! Phew!


Enough math for now; I have my numbers all set. Just need to start the measuring and marking!

I do apologize if I have completely bored you (or thoroughly confused you!). It really is simple math and just another part of the hand painted invitation process!

Thank you for reading and check back soon as I begin the transferring process! (finding a way to draw the same calla lily SIXTY times...)

No comments:

Post a Comment