Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Calla Lily x 60

Now, it's time to transfer the image I have decided on to each of the 60 invites I have measured out. I draw the lily on a sheet of paper and coat the back with pencil lead. An old fashioned technique, yes, but it works!

I line up the template, pencil lead side down, to one of the invites and begin tracing over the drawing. By applying pressure while tracing, the lead transfers the image to the watercolor paper, leaving me a faint impression for painting.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Transfer the image as many times as needed. Over time, my templates tend to wear out and the paper begins to tear slightly or the image gradually becomes distorted too much for my liking. In that case, I just create a new one.

These pictures are faint, I know, but that is good for me! The lighter the lines that transfer, the less erasing and 'cleaning' up I have to do in the end. To get a better look, click on an image to enlarge. Next step is to begin painting!

6 comments:

  1. You make it look so easy! Bet these are going to turn out gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BECKY! xoxo (wags and licks and happy-dancin'!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday from a fellow St. Patty's Day birthday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Becky! Thank you CindyLu! Thank you Peggy--and Happy Birthday to you too!!

    ReplyDelete